I just re-read Spiritual Leadership by J. Oswald Sanders. I love this book. I have recommended it 100’s of times and I want to recommend it again to anyone who is in spiritual leadership to any capacity. This book is just a powerhouse of truth and wisdom.
Here are a few nuggets that I got from reading it a second time around:
– “Pessimism and leadership are at opposite ends of life’s attitudes.”
– “We can only lead where we ourselves have traveled.”
– “A leader know how to exploit momentum” (Great name for a conference, isn’t it 🙂
– Letters of encouragement (Thank you notes) are important
– You can’t share vision too much
– Make sure your flock is well fed
– Identify the people that God’s hand is on and develop them
– The primary leadership development tool is “on the job training”
– I need to build a better prayer discipline into my life
– Don’t waste time! Putting things off is fatal to spiritual leadership
– Delegate authority with responsibility
– God hates pride!